Monday, January 28, 2008

Introduction

Hello world.

This is my first blog entry.
My name is Ronnie Sahlberg, I work as an open source developer for Linux Technology Centre at IBM. My main focus is to work with Samba and the CTDB component of Samba, but I also hack on Wireshark from time to time.
This is my blog.
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.


So what is CTDB and what is it that I do?
CTDB (Clustered Trivial DataBase) is a very very thin and VERY fast database that is developed for samba to makeclusterize samba. What CTDB does is to make it possible for Samba to run and serve the same data from several different hosts in your network AT THE SAME TIME!

This means that with CTDB, samba suddenly becomes a clustered service where all nodes in the cluster are active and exports the same samba shares read-write at the same time. This allows for both very high performance (if we manage to scale well, which we do) as well as pretty interesting reliability features.

On this blog I will talk about various issues and topics I work with related to CTDB and what I do with CTDB to make it "tick".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very informative; so happy to be given a privilege to post a comment here.

aissa
www.joeydavila.net